Thursday 19 September 2013

Utopia

I was away from my computer these last 10 days, hence the story I posted. Somehow, I came absolutely convinced I'll return from my trip to the countryside full of ideas and ready to write lots and lots of entries. Obviously, my prediction was really wrong. I did get one idea, but, as I forgot to write it down, it went away as soon as it came.Anyway, yesterday I remembered about something that had been on my mind over a year ago.
During that time I wanted to participate on a writing contest titled "Dream Worlds" and had two radically opposing ideas. The first one was to re-write a story with a girl who creates a world of her own, story which I'll treat next post. The second one really got me thinking. The main idea was to have a spaceship filled with various people (and aliens and robots) heading for a distant planet believing it to be an utopia. Although their goal is the same planet, their dream worlds are different and, since no one knows what they will find, their dreams clash to each other, leading to discord and disagreement. 
Then I really got to think on the whole concept of utopia. Isn't it kind of impossible to have a country where everybody is content? We're all different and there will always be even a few displeased members of the society regardless of how the society is shaped. To put it in pretty words, one's utopia is another's dystopia. Then how would the concept of perfect world come into contact with human nature? Is it impossible or hard to achieve?
Could a world where every possible form of leadership have their own country and people the freedom to be citizens of any country they wish qualify as an utopia? After all, it would allow everyone to have their desired degree and manifestation of the concept of freedom.
As you can see, not only am I not a great philosopher, but I don't even read philosophy, so these thoughts came solely to aid me to sketch out a story about a female android who is dragged by her creator to a clandestine voyage to a mythical planet. She is disgusted by the love he bears for her and hopes to achieve independence from her creator as a life form rather than an object. On the spaceship she confronts different, often conflicting goals and expectations about the illusory planet and eventually, when they stop by a planet that was colonised by robots, decides to remain there, considering it to be a safer battle to bear than a world she has no concrete information about.
As for the story that was eventually written down for the contest, I shall gladly post it on a week when I'm even slower on ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment