Sunday 3 November 2013

Halloween post: Thought process and delay

You know how I promised you a Halloween-themed story this week? Unfortunately I don't have it done, but not due to laziness. I just couldn't answer my own questions.
Here is a record of the thought process that has led 2 days ago to a coherent summary:
Why did the Wicked witch become bad?
Love? Too typical. The story of a villain reforming due to love has been done and re-done for so many times it is unoriginal and uninteresting.
Loneliness? I use that too much in my stories. Besides, loneliness is a good reason for turning evil, but not good.
........ umm... what else?
No reason? That would be good, giving me a good chance to build a random character. One of those fascinating, unpredictible characters.
.... I don't have a proper action. What could be?
I know! Good is bad and bad is good. Wait, what? Yes. The witch came to realise that what she believed is evil is actually good, so she reasons that what she believed is good is actually the real evil. What about that?
. . .  Still, I need a summary. I have no idea. Let me start writing and see where I end up. Ah, a 15 lines about how lonely she is. When did I even come up with Amanda? Did my subconscious watch Diagnosis Murder again?
Okay, okay, Let's see...
So Amanda is evil and a witch. What does she do?
She kidnaps royalties for ransom. She casts spells to her benefit. She mistreats her underlings.
But what's the normal consequence? Do they admit their defeat? Most likely they become stronger and tougher to win against. So Amanda realises she's actually helped them.
Now what?
How does she reform?
What will she do?
Will my story have an actual plot?
I almost have an answer to these questions, but to find out, wait until I finally manage to finish writing the actual story. Definitely before Saint Andrew's Day, for which I'm planning supernatural posts and a story with vampires, undead, witches, maybe ghosts... (which I'll start writing with more than 4 days before the deadline...)
Any way, to find out Amanda's story, join me next week, either on Tuesday or on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment