Monday 26 August 2013

Robot apocalypse

 We have so much zombie fiction that outright prepares us for the zombie apocalypse. They tell us how to build our basements, what guns to pick, what to do if we/our loved ones are infected.

But what about robots? Most robot fiction I’ve come across has both nearly indestructible humanoid tin-men (and, yes. Yes, I am thinking the Cybermen from Doctor Who) or some mother-computer-thing like the Matrix. But do you think that really is the way they’re gonna conquer the world?

[I’m sorry for what you’re about to read. I’m really, really into the whole robot apocalypse thing, to the point where I talk to lamp-posts. Because fear of electronics* goes well with robot apocalypse.]

Isn’t it more likely that they will start from the little things, like, say, mobile phones? After all, they are at the moment the smartest of all gadgets around us. Probably next will be the computers who become sentient. Maybe humans will succeed in making them cross the Uncanny Valley, although I doubt that is even possible. Instead they will make them smarter and smarter until they develop a conscience of their own. Afterwards it’s only a matter of time before they usurp us. Slowly, but steadily. Not in the way the Matrix did, far less bloody. Simpler. Not only do we help them, but we end up being grateful to them. Willingly becoming their slaves. How? We make them think for us and do things for us. No, not like Wall-E! They coordinate, distribute and keep our currency. They give us entertainment. They educate us. They provide us comfort in our own homes. Do you see it now? They are everywhere already. They make their moves slowly, engulfing our bank system. They take our jobs, not just in the factories, but in the service industry as well. They make us dependent to them: for school [I always knew Wikipedia was ruled by robots!], for sports [when you go to the gym, think twice about that running thingy], for irrigations and agriculture [computerised everything. That’s all I can say.], for transportation [today the GPS, also today the driverless car!] and so on. They make us dependent until they find a way of properly repairing themselves. They still don’t do things as good as a human, but it’s strength in numbers … and usefulness … and energy … and the material they’re made of …
What will they do with us? Beats me, they might as well exterminate us.





*  I mean it when I say fear of electronics. I'm afraid even of using a photo camera. Needless to say, computers scare me the most. Why am I here, in front of a computer, writing? Because fears are made to be faced! And I do so! Every single day! Even when I shouldn't! 

No comments:

Post a Comment