Wednesday 9 October 2013

Guest Story! Trapped

You know how the last posts have been about a writing contests and the ideas for it? And how I mentioned that usually when I write on a topic, I write it because I have agreed to write with a friend to both write on that very topic? And how that practice gave me the idea for this blog? Well, now I have the great pleasure to post one of the writings of that very dear friend of mine:

Trapped
by Alexandra (TooCloseToTheEdge)     

“I am here! Look at ME! Stop talking to this body! I am here!” I keep shouting at my sister while she is talking to me. She will not. She cannot hear me. Little did she know about the girl in front of her, the one she is calling Anaïs. It is my name. It is me. We are the same; the body and me. Yet so different. I have not been myself since the accident.
            It happened almost 4 years ago, only a few days apart from Christmas. We were getting home, my sister and I, after a great funny evening spent in search for the perfect presents for our parents, my boyfriend and several relatives that we usually get to see only once a year, as well as the friends that we were going to spend the Christmas with. Almost home, with all the presents packed and neatly arranged on the back seat, singing along with Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby’s carols hearing from the old radio, only a moment was needed for Brigitte to look away. It felt almost like a flashback; a bright intense light hurt my eyes, then the loud sound of the truck’s honk warning us that we are way too close to it and then blank. I vaguely remember hearing my sister shouting for help and a man running to our car.
            As I understood later, the accident must have been terrible, for my body was very close to shutting itself down. The day I was aware of what was happening around was the happiest in my life, even though the realization that I may never be able to walk again scared me to death. Ironic, isn’t it? From what I knew, it was 24 December. I will remember this day for the rest of my life. The first thing that I hear after waking up is the sweet terribly worried voice of my mom. I understand that we are in a hospital, as many medical terms flow and fill the space in the room, until they reach my ears. It seems that they do not know that I am able to hear them. The term paralysis hits me. As the doctor explains further, I feel lighter and lighter, my chest squeezing, slowly loosing the connection with my body. I feel like I am backing off, going in the depth of my brain, a dark silent place where nothing and no one was present. I am even more scared. I feel my heart pumping more blood, faster and faster trying to make its way to my brain. Everything is spinning. The dark space extends and then contracts itself at the same time with the rapid irregular beats. I cannot breathe. The doctor’s fast precise reactions save my life. She puts an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose and starts counting. At first, the counting seems repeatedly chaotic, but soon enough I understand that she is only trying to save my life, pressing on my chest in order to make my heart beat again. As she does so a few times, the monitor to which I am connected starts to beep regularly, making the annoying prolonged sound disappear. I see myself waking up. What was happening, though? It does not make sense. I wake up, yet I am standing here alone, in this dark somber place from where I cannot come out. After a few tries, I did it. My eyes are wide-open and the panic starts to vanish as I start to get used to the diffuse light in the room.
            “Welcome back”, the doctor says and as I slowly open my eyes, I hear myself speaking with a scared precipitated voice that I do not recognize as myself:
            “Where am I? What had happened to me?”
            “Let’s send her to a CT scan”, they announce after a moment of silence that seemed incredibly long. My bed is being moved, slowly, to the CT room. I am terrified. In the end, what can go wrong? Many people have to go through this many times while they are hospitalized. Why would my experience be different? Then, I black out. Again. But this time, it is different. Instead of that huge black space, I find myself standing in the middle of an astonishingly beautiful glade. I can hear the thrills of the birds, as well as smell the perfume of hundreds of all sorts of flowers; from the tiny blue forget-me-not, to a lane of poppy flowers, my senses are flooded with an amalgam of smells and colors that started mixing, making me believe for what I thought was only a blink of an eye, that I am a synesthete.
            “Anaïs ! Anaïs ! What is wrong? Please, somebody call a doctor!” my sister shouts in despair while pressing the emergency button. It is only then that I see the tube coming out of my trachea, and by the time the doctors came in a rush to take it out, I was having a seizure.
            The doctors started talking to my sister as I was starting to breathe on my own. I was mistaken. They did not take it out. What they did do actually was to change the medication that was now going to float in my blood, through my veins, making me fall asleep again. The next minute, my sense of hearing felt distorted and the speech sounded muffled, but I was able to understand what they were talking, as I was lip-reading.
            “Mademoiselle, I am afraid that your sister will not be able to move anymore.”
She turned to her left, where my mother was sitting, to wake her up. Then, they showed a scan. The CT scan I had only a few hours ago, I think. “As you can see here, the doctor was pointing the right side of the brain; the hemorrhaging was greater than on the other side. Now, if we take a look on this, you can see the extension of the hemorrhage to the inferior midbrain and into the left side.” My sister was crying. So was my mother. I wanted to talk, but no word would come out. Then, it hit me. Not able to move, literally meant that I was not able to move. But it was worse than I was thinking. I was paralyzed below the neck, unable to speak, move or feel anything. Locked-in-Syndrome was the final diagnosis the doctors gave me and it described the situation and the way that I was feeling, better than anything else. I was trapped in my own body and petrified that no one would realize I could understand.
            A few minutes later, they saw that I had my eyes opened. I want to shut them so I seem asleep, but the tall blonde doctor was faster than I was. He shone his flashlight into my eyes probably to see what the pupils’ reaction to light is and that it’s not only an involuntary reaction due to the stimuli.
            I was terrified. My dreams started to become nightmares. I thought that I am delusional, only to find out that I was asleep. What if they decided that I was not going to wake again and I was brain-dead? All these “what ifs” scared me to death. It was not only the fact that I wouldn’t ever be able to move ever again in case they realized that I was aware of what was going on around me, but also the thought of being a burden for everyone if I was lucky enough, and they stopped sedating me.
            One day, it must have been late January by than, Sébastien came in the afternoon, to visit me, as he had usually done. His perfume tickled my nostrils, and as it entered my lungs, I inhaled. Wrong move. Or not? I started coughing, thinking that I can suffocate every second that passed. He had the brilliant idea to remove the oxygen mask off my face and let me breathe. Then, he called my doctor and the nurses, who were astonished to see me breathing on my own. This was the day when I can say that I was reborn, just like a Phoenix. It was the most important day of my life. Everything has changed since.
            “She is fully conscious”, Sébastien kept telling the doctors, but they seemed to be too blind and self-confident to listen to what a slightly immature boy had to say. Nevertheless, the kind and perseverant boy that I so deeply felt in love with, would not give up on me. I may have fallen asleep, while he was humming a lullaby, my lullaby, because when I woke up a few hours later, he was gone. Stunned as I was, I thought that he left me, only to realize it was the middle of the night, and as every person should do once in awhile, he went home to sleep.
            The very next day, he and my parents came at the first hour of the morning with daffodils, and many cards. It seemed that they have talked to the doctors and that those flashcards were going to help me recover, or, even better, communicate.
            My birthday arrived, and as I was going to spend it on the hospital bed, I was quite down, and the inability of expressing myself, of moving, made everything even worse. As months passed, I learned how to use my eyes to replace the voice that I lost.
            Everyone was so kind to me and almost all the time nearby to help me with whatever I might have needed. I think that they were wearing gloves with me, so nothing could ever hurt me again. Careful is the right word when trying to describe my family’s attitude towards me. They thought they were doing their best, and who am I to contradict this statement? Yet, deep inside, I felt left apart. As if all that everyone could see was only the shadow of the girl that I used to be.
            “Look at me!” I try sending her the telepathic message once again. “Why can’t you see through this flesh and blood and realise that I am inside here? A prisoner of my own self.” It is pointless and I stop staring at her as if I were a lunatic.
            “It is time for your afternoon walk, Anaïs”, I hear my mom calling from the other room. I think that I am choking. How I miss walking, running in the first hours of the morning, feeling the sun warming my limbs. Now I have to watch others move and walk me everywhere. I feel the air touching my face as my mom is pushing me outside the garden on the road now covered  with rusty leaves.
Life is passing by and I do not have the power to make it slow down only for a split second. My sister has just got married and is waiting for a baby. How wonderful life can be, yet, so unfair!
           


No comments:

Post a Comment